Monday, October 11, 2010

On My Way

I was standing at the same spot where I waited for my ex to come out for our date more than three years ago. It was at the side of the road, beside two small palm trees. On the other side was the gate to his apartment. The place has changed a bit since then. The payphone that used to be on the wall behind me was now gone. The gate that used to be barely above waist level was now seven feet high. But other than that, everything has pretty much stayed the same.

It was evening then too. It was going to be our first date. We were going to meet properly for the first time. I can still remember my nerves while I stood there. I shifted from leg to leg, taking long drags from my cigarette. I was worried as hell that he won’t like what he would see. I stalled. I smoked one stick first when I got there, then waited a few more minutes before I finally took out my phone and texted him that I was already outside.

I found myself smiling as I recalled the scene. I also had a cigarette in one hand and my phone in the other. And like that night, I was also stalling, taking my time at looking around the place and reminiscing. I recalled how I was in awe when he finally came out and walked to me. He was beautiful. I remembered how we walked together to our date, unaware that we will fall in love and share some of our happiest days together.

But that was more than three years ago. And my cigarette was almost out. I took one last puff before flicking it. I typed at my phone as I started walking.

“Hey Luis, I’m on my way.”

14 comments:

  1. awwwwwwww... reminiscing before moving on. awwwwwwww...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "As we travel on, love's what we'll remember. Kiss today goodbye, and point me t'ward tomorrow. Oh we did what we have to do..."
    -What I did For Love
    .
    .
    you're still lucky at the very least coz no matter what happened, you have the love you've shared to remember. some people have nothing to reminisce...
    .
    .
    smile =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jason, there are two things about exes and moving on. There are exes that whose memory and friendship we can keep and keep on remembering and holding on to because it brings smile to our faces and makes our heart beat a little faster, in a very good way. There are exes whose memory brings smile and at the same time pierces our hearts into a little bittersweet pieces.

    Now, if that ex of yours keeps on destroying your everyday life, well, think about starting to live.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw. That's quite introspective, Jason. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moving-on has always been a very sharp double-edged sword.

    They say it's liberating, some say it's killing them.

    You are in a situation wherein you already know what part you play or where you stand.

    To let go of the grasp, or be cut?

    ReplyDelete
  6. sasabihin mo bang iyakin na naman ako kapag sinabi kong nangilid na naman ang luha ko while reading this entry? LOL

    oh jayson oh jayson. goodluck :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. memory is sometimes a thief... you never know when it will strike you.

    -geek

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jason,

    I really love this entry. I think the title is just perfect.

    Flashbacks, remembering, is a beautiful literary tool. Especially when we realize we did not know then, what we know now.

    Kane

    ReplyDelete
  9. nakaka-inspire..:)) you never fail on giving me goosebumps..pramis

    ReplyDelete
  10. goodluck jason! hope both of you'll get the happiness you both deserve. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. all the best, jason :) love this entry

    ReplyDelete
  12. i like the efficient use of the flashback. you pulled out right before it got ugly or dragging. real good stuff right here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice way to declare you're finally moving! :)

    auditorslair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete